The Delta Rho Lambda chapter, located in San Antonio, Texas has served as a progressive voice of Alpha since its chartering in 1949. The chapter is committed to being change agents in the communities of San Antonio by implementing the National Programs/Special Projects mandated by the Fraternity’s Corporate Headquarters. Saturday, September 3, 1949 Antonio Maceo Smith, Vice President of the Southwestern Region of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. administered the oath of charter to eight professional black men establishing Delta Rho Lambda Chapter in San Antonio, Texas. This historic event ushered in the presence of the oldest black Greek letter organization into San Antonio, Texas. The cold, bold young men were Bro. Ulysses James Andrews, Bro. Bernard Adams. Bro. Rowland A. Martin, Bro. Reginald T. Pickard, Bro. John W. Warren, Bro. Levi Jackson, Jr., Bro. John D. McDonald and Bro. James E. Taylor.
These eight brothers of Alpha, after returning back to San Antonio, longed for the brotherhood and purpose that they had discovered while attending their respective colleges and universities. It is not known who initiated the conversation to form, but it is widely accepted that all eight were committed to uniting under the mantra of Alpha to serve their community of San Antonio. They wasted no time in impacting their community, under the leadership of the chapters’ first President, Bro. Andrews, Delta Rho Lambda established scholarships, conducted voter registration drives, raised and contributed funds for the United Negro College Fund and took a leading role in many cultural activities. Today the brothers of Delta Rho continue the glowing legacy of our national founders, the Jewels, and the cold bold eight of our chapter in service to all mankind.